The Chinese Palace, located deep in the Upper Garden, is part of the park and palace complex of Empress Catherine II's Countryside House. The name of the Chinese Palace was first mentioned in 1774 in the Kammerfurier Journal. Previously, the palace was referred to as "the Dutch house" (the same as the Monplaisir Palace in Peterhof), “the house in the Upper Garden", and "the small house". The name "Chinese" emerged because some interiors in the palace (the Large and the Small Chinese Salons) were decorated in the spirit of Chinese art or with the use of authentic objects of art from China or Japan.
The most famous room of the Chinese Palace is the Glass Beaded Salon. The walls of the room are decorated with glass beading on canvas panels. On the beaded background, complex compositions are embroidered with chenille, featuring fantastic birds in no less fantastic landscapes. The panels are set into frames with gilded carving imitating tree trunks twined with leaves, flowers and grapes. The frames were made at the same time as the beaded panels by Russian woodcarvers.